What Should I Do if My Alimony Agreement is Not Enforced?

What Should I Do if My Alimony Agreement is Not Enforced?

Alimony is one of the most contested issues in a divorce. Unfortunately, there may be instances where an alimony agreement is not enforced, which can have a negative impact on a dependant former spouse. Reach out to our firm today to learn more about your options if you are facing this situation. Our skilled New York divorce attorneys are committed to ensuring that you and your best interests are protected.

What are the benefits of an alimony agreement?

The purpose of an alimony agreement is to ensure that once a couple gets divorced, that they both continue the same or similar lifestyle to when they were married. Alimony is also used for keeping up with important expenses such as mortgage payments, food, car payments, clothing, and more. When it comes to the use of alimony payments, those who are unable to adequately support themselves will be able to do so and even may be capable of pursuing any educational or professional goals.

It is essential to understand that once an alimony agreement is signed, both spouses are legally obliged to it and must adhere to the terms affirmed. In some circumstances, alimony terms are not always followed by the required payor. While there can be several causes as to why this may occur, it is critical to hire the help of an experienced New York divorce attorney that can help you communicate with your previous spouse to ensure that alimony responsibilities are being met.

What can happen if I do not receive alimony payments?

There are several reasons why a former spouse may stop paying alimony. For example, changes in life circumstances such as loss of employment, injury, or illness are all common factors that can prevent an individual from being able to earn enough money to meet alimony obligations. Unfortunately, if a couple is in this situation, communication between the former spouses can be sparse or even non-existent. That is why you will need a skilled New York divorce attorney to serve you and speak on your behalf. Our legal team can help you execute or adjust the alimony arrangement.

It is in your best interest to reach out to our firm today to get started on your claim. Our legal team is committed to ensuring that you are receiving the support you need. Give us a call today.

Contact our experienced Nassau County firm

The Pollack Law Firm, P.C., rated Nassau County’s “BEST” divorce lawyers and proudly serving clients in Nassau and Suffolk County for more than 25 years, is always available to assist and represent parties in divorce, separation, and all other matrimonial and family law matters. Contact us online or call today to schedule your complimentary case analysis: (516) 938-3330.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Can Children Express Preference in New York Custody Proceedings?
  •  What Should My Prenuptial Agreement Cover?
  •  Is Daycare Included in Child Support in New York?