What are Some Common Parenting Time Issues in New York?

What are Some Common Parenting Time Issues in New York?

child support

As expected, issues can arise between two parents that are sharing custody of their child. It is important to understand the two most common parenting time issues and how our firm can help you. Contact our skilled New York family law attorneys today to discuss your case and options.

What are the two most common parenting time issues for parents who are sharing custody?

There are several ways that conflict between two parents sharing custody can arise. The two most common include the following:

1. If one parent does not show up for parenting time.

One of the central issues that come up among two parents who share custody when it comes to parenting time is when one parent does not show up for their assigned parenting time. This can cause major dilemmas for the other parent who is suddenly left to make last-minute childcare arrangements. It is typical for spur-of-the-moment childcare to be inaccessible, which can result in the parent missing work or having to cancel important plans. The parent who is now unable to rely on their former spouse to show up for their parenting time should then accumulate as much evidence as possible of these incidents. With this evidence, they should next attend court to request a modification of the custody order to better reflect the infrequency of the parenting time.

2. If one parent denies the other parent access to the child.

The other main issue that occurs regarding parenting time between two parents who share custody is when one parent tries to keep the child from spending time with the other parent. It is unfortunately typical for parents to try to deny the other parent access to their child, even with a custody order in place. An example of this might be when a parent cancels scheduled visitation by claiming that the child has told them that they do not want to see the other parent. Another example of this is constantly cutting the parenting time short. For any of these circumstances, it is important for the parent who is not receiving proper visitation to gather evidence of these actions by their former spouse. Once this evidence is obtained, they should then go to court to ask for enforcement.

If you are facing either of these unfortunate situations, you have options. Contact our firm today to discuss your case and how our legal team can best help you. Our family law attorneys are dedicated to ensuring that you and your child’s best interests are in mind at all times.

Contact our experienced Nassau County firm

The Pollack Law Firm, P.C., rated Nassau County’s “BEST” divorce lawyers and proudly serving clients in Nassau and Suffolk County for more than 22 years, is always available to assist and represent parties in divorce, separation, and all other matrimonial and family law matters. Contact us online or call today to schedule your complimentary case analysis: (516) 938-3330.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Does New York Have Permanent Alimony?
  •  Can Children Express Preference in New York Custody Proceedings?
  •  What Should My Prenuptial Agreement Cover?