What Should I do if I Lost Out on Parenting Time Due to COVID-19?

What Should I do if I Lost Out on Parenting Time Due to COVID-19?

There are few things more important to parents than spending time with their children. However, the COVID-19 pandemic has made that increasingly difficult for divorced co-parents. This is why, below, our experineced Nassau County family law attorney has compiled a short list of ideas regarding making up for lost parenting time. They are as follows:

Ask Your Former Spouse if He/She Will Grant You Some Additional Parenting Time

The first, and perhaps most practical thing you can do if you wish to make up lost time with your children is simply to ask your former spouse if you may spend more time with them. You do not have to ask for weeks on end if this is infeasible, however, you can simply ask for more nights with your children, or even longer weekends for the next few weeks/months, depending on how much time you lost.

Consider Mutual Social Distancing Parenting Time

Another option is asking your former spouse if you may spend time together with your children while abiding by WHO and CDC guidelines. This means wearing masks, staying socially distanced, and keeping your interactions to outdoor activities. Many people are worried about spreading the virus to their children, which is why suggesting a socially-distanced hangout may put your children, as well as your former spouse, at ease, making them more likely to accept such an arrangement.

Consider Spending More Virtual Time With Your Children

Co-parenting is never easy, however, if you and your children have Facetime or another online video chat app, you may spend more time with your children virtually that way. Of course, this is not the same as physical contact, but if, for whatever reason, more physical contact is not possible, this is a viable second option.

Modify Your Parenting Time Plan

In a perfect world, you and your former spouse will be able to negotiate a formal, written agreement, recognized by Nassau County courts, that can modify your parenting time plan, even if only for a few months so you can make up any lost time with your children. That being said, to formally modify your child custody arrangement, you will have to retain the services of a knowledgeable Nassau County family law attorney who can help ensure the process goes as smoothly as possible. If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to give us a call today. We are here for you and your family.

Contact our experienced Nassau County firm

The Pollack Law Firm, P.C., rated Nassau County’s “BEST” divorce lawyers and proudly serving clients in Nassau and Suffolk County for more than 22 years, is always available to assist and represent parties in divorce, separation and all other matrimonial and family law matters. Contact us online or call today to schedule your complimentary case analysis: (516) 938-3330.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Does New York Have Permanent Alimony?
  •  Can Children Express Preference in New York Custody Proceedings?
  •  What Should My Prenuptial Agreement Cover?