How is child custody arranged?

How is child custody arranged?

Child custody arrangements need to be made when divorces are occurring and children are involved in the family. When child custody arrangements are made, the child’s best interests should always be first and foremost to make these plans. Although parents may be going through a difficult time because of the emotional turmoil in their divorce, the child may be experiencing uncertain emotions because they do not fully understand divorce and how it can affect their families. Divorce can be hard on children since they may not be able to comprehend the full extent of it. It is important to recognize any signs of changed behavior that are present in the child. The custody arrangement that is made can have a big impact on them and how they react. When parents cooperate with one another and act amicably, they may be able to ease the child’s transition. Whether a parent acquires physical or legal custody, they are still able to be involved in their child’s life.

Physical custody names one parent as the custodial parent after divorce. This means that the child will reside with this parent on a regular basis in their home. Although the child may be able to spend time in their other parent’s home, the custodial parent is the one that they will see more of the time. The non-custodial parent may be given visitation rights or parenting time. However, this depends on a case by case basis since all aspects of the parents’ lives and family are taken into account to decide what is best for the child. Legal custody refers to the ability to make decisions for your child. When parents are given this right, they can decide on important issues for the child’s well-being.

What if my former spouse fails to follow custody arrangements?

Custody arrangements are court-ordered agreements. This means that they are legally binding and they must be followed. Parents must follow these arrangements or they may face penalties in retribution of their lack of cooperation. If your former spouse is not cooperating with the agreement that was made, you have the right to file a motion with the court. The judge can review the case and figure out a final decision. Your former spouse may face consequences for their inability to cooperate.

The Pollack Law Firm, P.C. understands that divorce and family law matters can be very complicated and emotional. They require strong legal representation from a compassionate attorney. Robert Pollack is an experienced divorce and family law attorney in Long Island, New York. Contact The Pollack Law Firm, P.C., to set up a free initial consultation.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Does New York Have Permanent Alimony?
  •  Can Children Express Preference in New York Custody Proceedings?
  •  What Should My Prenuptial Agreement Cover?