How are post-judgment modifications made?

How are post-judgment modifications made?

child custody holidays

After divorce, spouses are supposed to follow through with orders that were made in court or in mediation. These orders are mandated by the court, making spouses legally obligated to follow them. By ignoring these orders, they may face repercussions, including legal action. Post-judgment modifications can be made after a divorce to accommodate spouses. During the divorce process, couples can make decisions on their marital issues or have a judge do so for them, which allows them to start separate lives. However, sometimes these cases need to be revisited later on in the future. When a change occurs in a spouse’s life, it may affect a marital issue and it may need to be approached again for a better outcome. This can cause a spouse to bring the case to court again where a judge can preside over the case and make a final decision on the matter. This means that the terms of your divorce can change. These terms include the marital issues that were decided on, such as child custody arrangements, child support and alimony. With these marital issues, there should be room for changes since circumstances can arise in the future that warrant a need for one. If spouses see the need for a change to their original agreement, they can file a motion with the court to allow the case to enter into litigation.

Can my spouse be penalized for not following custody orders?

Child custody matters are a sensitive topic for divorced spouses. They may be upset by custody arrangements after divorce. However, they must follow what is mandated by the court. When a spouse does not cooperate with an agreed-upon custody arrangement, they can be held accountable for this wrongdoing. They should be following along with the custody agreement that is in place. If they are not following this outline, you can file a motion with the court to bring your spouse to court. In court, a judge can listen to your case and provide an outcome on the matter that may include a modification. Your spouse may be found in contempt of court for failing to follow a court-mandated agreement. By failing to follow a court-mandated agreement that is legally binding for them, they may be penalized. This can jeopardize their custody of the children. For these cases, a child’s best interests should be the first thing in mind. When bringing these cases to court, it is best to consider how this can affect the child. The custody arrangement should reflect what is best for the child.

The Pollack Law Firm, P.C. understands that divorce and family law matters can be very complicated and emotional. They require strong legal representation from a compassionate attorney. Robert Pollack is an experienced divorce and family law attorney in Long Island, New York. Contact The Pollack Law Firm, P.C., to set up a free initial consultation.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Should My Prenuptial Agreement Cover?
  •  Is Daycare Included in Child Support in New York?
  •  What Are the Legal Considerations for Same-Sex Divorce?