Effects of a divorce on children

Effects of a divorce on children

When a couple gets divorced, it is going to be a very emotional and difficult time for anyone involved. The people who usually take the divorce the hardest are many times, not even the couple. If the divorcing couple has children, they feel the most severe effects. They may have to move out of their home, change schools, leave behind friends, and deal with becoming the child of divorced parents, which has serious emotional stresses in itself.

Unfortunately, one parent may talk badly about the child’s other parent during or after a divorce. They may try to sabotage the relationship between the child and the other parent. It is important for the children to have a good relationship with both of his or her parents after a divorce, regardless of which parent they spend most of their time with. Divorce takes a toll on a child’s emotions because they don’t have a lot of control over what happens. It’s hard enough that their parents are splitting up but it can be even harder when every other aspect of their life changes. Both parents and children alike will have to work towards finding a new sense of what is normal and that will take time.

It is important for you and your spouse to take the emotions of your children into consideration when you are considering a divorce. A lot of people will wait until after the holidays are over to get a divorce so their children can have Thanksgiving, for example, as they normally would. Perhaps the parent with primary custody should be able to keep the house during the equitable distribution process so the children don’t have to move away from home and leave their friends behind.

There are a lot of factors that go into divorce since it is such an emotional process for all of the parties involved. You should consult with an experienced divorce and family law attorney who can help your family transition into their new life as easily as possible.

Robert Pollack is an experienced divorce and family law attorney in Long Island, New York. Contact The Pollack Law Firm, P.C., to set up a free initial consultation. 

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Can Children Express Preference in New York Custody Proceedings?
  •  What Should My Prenuptial Agreement Cover?
  •  Is Daycare Included in Child Support in New York?