How can I protect my child from abuse?

How can I protect my child from abuse?

One of the worst situations a parent can find their child in is one in which they are being abused. If you suspect your ex-spouse or another person is abusing or neglecting your child when they have custody, you should report them to Child Protective Services immediately. It is crucial that you do what you can to protect your child from any form of physical, emotional, or sexual abuse,  neglect or abandonment.

If you suspect any form of abuse, neglect, or abandonment, you will have to file a report with Child Protective Services, who will then conduct an investigation into your claim. The investigation of these allegations will occur within 24 hours of the time in which the initial report was filed. It is important that you do not hesitate to file a report, as time may be of the essence, especially if your child is in danger. It is crucial that you file a report as soon as you suspect abuse. Parents, teachers and other school staff, social workers, law enforcement, and medical professionals are required by New York law to report suspicions abuse, neglect, or abandonment of a child to Child Protective Services.

After CPS investigates the allegations, they will determine whether or not they believe these claims are correct. If the investigator sees any signs of maltreatment, the child may be taken out of the home and into protective custody. There are many possible scenarios that can happen from here, depending on the situation. In more extreme cases, the child may be permanently removed from the home and placed into the foster care system or with another relative.

It is vital for the safety of your child that you report any signs of maltreatment or abuse. The first step to take is always to contact the appropriate authorities. Then, you may want to contact an experienced attorney to help guide you through this difficult time.

Robert Pollack is an experienced divorce and family law attorney in Long Island, New York. Contact The Pollack Law Firm, P.C., to set up a free initial consultation. 

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Can Children Express Preference in New York Custody Proceedings?
  •  What Should My Prenuptial Agreement Cover?
  •  Is Daycare Included in Child Support in New York?