What is a Post-Judgment Modification?

What is a Post-Judgment Modification?

In the months or years after spouses divorce, they often find that their situation has changed, rendering their established divorce terms inadequate. If you are someone who is looking to change the terms of your divorce due to a substantial change in circumstance, please read on and reach out to our experienced Nassau County post-judgment modification attorney to learn more.

How do I know if Nassau County courts will allow a post-judgment modification?

Various scenarios have granted individuals post-judgment modifications in the past. Generally, if you and your attorney can prove that there is a significant change of circumstances, you will be granted a modification. Some examples of scenarios that may qualify are as follows:

  • Your child has reached adulthood and will not be attending college. When this is the case, your child most likely no longer requires child support payments, as he or she should be capable of supporting him or herself
  • You or your former spouse has either remarried or is now cohabitating with another person. Rather obviously, with another paycheck in the picture, your spousal support terms may need an update.
  • Your child has had a dramatic or significant shift in his or her schedule, meaning sports, school, or any other aspect of his or her life that may warrant a change in child custody terms that better suit your child’s current situation.
  • Your former spouse was found to have subjected your child to abuse, domestic violence, substance abuse, or now has a mental illness that prevents him or her from providing the standard of care your child deserves. Children already have their home life disrupted when spouses divorce, however, when a child is subjected to additional cruel or unsatisfactory parenting behavior, the situation can become even more traumatic, which is why these scenarios generally also warrant a change in child custody terms.
  • In some circumstances, when a child reaches adulthood in the eyes of the court, but he or she is attending college, a continuation of child support payments beyond the initially-agreed upon date may be warranted.
  • You or your former spouse have recently encountered a new financial situation, for example, a promotion, demotion, or coming into a large inheritance. Very often, such a dramatic financial change is deserving of a modification to alimony or child support terms.

Will Nassau County courts require me to prove that I need a modification?

You should note that simply requesting a modification to your divorce terms is not enough. You will need an experienced Nassau County attorney on your side who is willing to collect and present evidence as efficiently as possible to prove that your request is completely necessary. Some types of evidence can include police reports, tax returns, school records, various financial documents, medical documentation, and more. Our Nassau County firm is ready to help.

Contact our experienced Nassau County firm

The Pollack Law Firm, P.C., rated Nassau County’s “BEST” divorce lawyers and proudly serving clients in Nassau and Suffolk County for more than 22 years, is always available to assist and represent parties in divorce, separation and all other matrimonial and family law matters. Contact us online or call today to schedule your complimentary case analysis: (516) 938-3330.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Does New York Have Permanent Alimony?
  •  Can Children Express Preference in New York Custody Proceedings?
  •  What Should My Prenuptial Agreement Cover?