Post Judgment Modifications in New York

Post Judgment Modifications in New York

Matters of divorce and family law are complicated and often, the parties involved need the court to step in and make decisions on their behalf. When the court rules on a contested issue, they will do so using the facts they are given regarding the current circumstances of each party involved. Of course, the judge can’t see into the future and won’t have any idea of the changes in circumstance that may arise down the road. When circumstances do change, however, the affected party may want to request a modification to the original order. Some of the matters that often need modifications include child support, child custody, child visitation, and spousal maintenance.

It is essential that the party who requires a modification continues to abide by the initial order until the court has granted a change. Court orders are legally binding and require that the individual follow the initial order or face consequences. The individual must prove that there has been a significant and permanent change in circumstances that requires the court to modify the original order.

Some of the reasons that an individual may need to request a modification are because of a change in income, loss of employment, significant health issues, change in work schedule, relocation, among others. If you have questions about post-judgment action in New York State, contact our firm today.

The Pollack Law Firm, P.C. understands that divorce and family law matters can be very complicated and emotional. They require strong legal representation from a compassionate attorney. Robert Pollack is an experienced divorce and family law attorney in Long Island, New York. Contact The Pollack Law Firm, P.C., to set up a free initial consultation.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Does New York Have Permanent Alimony?
  •  Can Children Express Preference in New York Custody Proceedings?
  •  What Should My Prenuptial Agreement Cover?