Post-Judgment Modifications in Nassau County | What You Should Know

Post-Judgment Modifications in Nassau County | What You Should Know

As time goes on after a divorce, many spouses find that their initial divorce agreement that was decided months or years ago no longer reflects their current situation. When this happens, they may request what is known as a post-judgment modification. If you believe that you are entitled to a post-judgment modification, you must continue reading and speak with our Nassau County divorce attorney to learn more about post-judgment modifications and how our firm can help you receive one. Here are some of the questions you may have about the legal process ahead:

What may constitute a post-judgment modification?

There are various scenarios in which Nassau County courts have awarded individuals post-judgment modifications, including the following:

  • One spouse gets a higher-paying job, receives a raise, or otherwise comes into a large sum of money, thereby warranting a change to alimony or spousal support payments. Additionally, when one spouse receives a demotion or loses his or her job, it may also warrant a change to alimony payments.
  • One spouse moves away, warranting a change to child custody.
  • One spouse exposes their child to an incident of domestic violence, substance abuse, or any other act that may call that spouse’s parental fitness into question. This will almost certainly warrant a change in child custody.
  • One spouse remarries or is cohabitating with another individual–this may warrant a modification to alimony.
  • Your child has a significant change in schedule, warranting a change to child custody.

These are just some scenarios that may warrant a post-judgment modification, and if you believe there has been a significant change in your life, you should reach out to our firm to learn more about whether that change qualifies for a post-judgment modification.

How do I receive a post-judgment modification?

As mentioned above, to receive a post-judgment modification, you will have to prove that there has been a significant and continuing change in circumstances that truly warrants a modification to your initial divorce agreement. That being said, proving as much is not always easy. Our firm can work to uncover police reports, school records, financial documents, and any other type of information needed to prove that such a change has occurred. If you are ready to get started, please do not hesitate to reach out to our knowledgeable Nassau County divorce attorney today. Our firm is always here to help.

Contact our experienced Nassau County firm

The Pollack Law Firm, P.C., rated Nassau County’s “BEST” divorce lawyers and proudly serving clients in Nassau and Suffolk County for more than 22 years, is always available to assist and represent parties in divorce, separation and all other matrimonial and family law matters. Contact us online or call today to schedule your complimentary case analysis: (516) 938-3330.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Does New York Have Permanent Alimony?
  •  Can Children Express Preference in New York Custody Proceedings?
  •  What Should My Prenuptial Agreement Cover?