How to Have a Low-Conflict Divorce in New York
Divorce is a stressful process. This may be true even if you and your spouse are on the best of terms. Every divorce is different, and every process will go differently. But, there are some important measures to take to make the divorce process easier for yourself. Read on to learn more about low-conflict divorce.
How to Achieve a Low-Conflict Divorce?
There is no way to ensure a low-conflict divorce, but there are some steps you can take to make the process easier:
- Practice acceptance. One thing to focus on when going into the process is accepting your situation. This can be difficult to do, but coming to terms with it will make the process easier. This is because it may alleviate some of the anger or denial you may feel.
- Be a flexible thinker. One of the most important things you can do in order to have a low-conflict divorce is to be flexible and willing to compromise. Go into it knowing that you will likely have to find a happy medium.
- Try to manage your emotions. There are many heightened emotions that come with divorce proceedings. It is normal to feel strong emotions and it is also normal to want to act on them, but this can impact your divorce proceedings. During this time, it is especially important to have healthy coping mechanisms to process these emotions.
- Communicate effectively. Communication is critical in any divorce. This is especially true when spouses are not on good terms. Be sure to leave your feelings out of it and speak concisely in a neutral tone. Having an experienced mediator can make all the difference when it comes to lessening hostility and conflict.
- It is understandable to feel misunderstood or disrespected during a divorce. You and your spouse may not be on the same page and that’s okay. It is important to know that your feelings are normal and valid.
- Focus on your behavior only. You can’t change how your spouse will act. You can only control your behavior. Keeping this in mind can be extremely helpful.
If you are getting divorced in New York, you will need the help of an experienced divorce attorney. Our firm is here to advocate for you and walk you through the process every step of the way. Reach out today to speak with a skilled attorney who is ready to assist you.
Contact our experienced Nassau County firm
The Pollack Law Firm, P.C., rated Nassau County’s “BEST” divorce lawyers and proudly serving clients in Nassau and Suffolk County for more than 22 years, is always available to assist and represent parties in divorce, separation and all other matrimonial and family law matters. Contact us online or call today to schedule your complimentary case analysis: (516) 938-3330.