How Does Child Support Work in Nassau County?

How Does Child Support Work in Nassau County?

There are very few aspects of divorce more contentious than child support. Though Nassau County courts try to calculate child support as fairly as possible, oftentimes, one spouse is left feeling as though they are paying too much, or are receiving too little. That is why if you are currently negotiating child support terms, you must read on and reach out to our experienced Nassau County child support attorney to learn more about how our firm can help you through the legal process going forward. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What is the Child Support Standard Act?

New York State has implemented the CSSA to create a system where the financial cost of raising a child between parents is fairly proportioned and distributed. Under the CSSA, Nassau County courts determine child support based on a percentage of combined income between parents. That percentage is then allocated in proportion to each parent’s income. The percentages are as follows:

  • One child: 17%
  • Two children: 25%
  • Three children: 29%
  • Four children: 31%
  • Five or more children: No less than 35%

What other circumstances influence child support in Nassau County?

Though there is a system in place, you should understand that when it comes to child support, Nassau County courtroom will keep your child’s best interests at heart. Therefore, they will very often analyze various aspects of you, your child, and your former spouse’s lives to attain a well-rounded picture of how your marriage functions financially. They will consider both you and your spouse’s yearly income, earning capacity, age and health, and more. Nassau County courts will also consider the cost of your child’s needs, such as education, basic care, whether your child has any special needs, and more.

How long will I have to pay child support?

Generally, in New York State, you will have to pay child support until your child turns 21 years old. However, certain circumstances may either terminate or extend child support. For example, if your child decides he or she would like to pursue higher education and attend college, you may request an extension on your spouse’s child support payments to help cover the cost of tuition. On the flip side, if your child/former spouse no longer requires support payments, you may modify/terminate support with the help of an experienced attorney.

Contact our experienced Nassau County firm

The Pollack Law Firm, P.C., rated Nassau County’s “BEST” divorce lawyers and proudly serving clients in Nassau and Suffolk County for more than 22 years, is always available to assist and represent parties in divorce, separation and all other matrimonial and family law matters. Contact us online or call today to schedule your complimentary case analysis: (516) 938-3330.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Can Children Express Preference in New York Custody Proceedings?
  •  What Should My Prenuptial Agreement Cover?
  •  Is Daycare Included in Child Support in New York?