What happens if my ex won’t let me see my child?

What happens if my ex won’t let me see my child?

When a couple gets divorced and they have one or more children together, they will have to come up with a custody arrangement. Many times, as unfortunate as it is, the parent with sole custody will not let the other parent see the the child. However, they are not allowed to violate the custody agreement that has been made. Legally, both parents must comply by the arrangement that was made when the divorce was finalized.

If one of the parents wants to make a change in the custody agreement, they can do so by filing a request for the modification of the custody or visitation agreement. For the most part, the court understands that circumstances change over time and the arrangement made years prior may need to be modified. The court will have to approve your request if they feel that it is appropriate to do so.

Parental alienation should not be tolerated. You, as the non-custodial parent, have every right to have a relationship with your child even after a divorce. Don’t let your child’s other parent ruin the relationship you have because that can cause the child more harm than good for years down the road. If you have any further questions regarding your visitation rights as a parent, it is in your best interest to speak with an experienced divorce and family law attorney who can assist you in your case.

Robert Pollack is an experienced divorce and family law attorney in Long Island, New York. Contact The Pollack Law Firm, P.C., to set up a free initial consultation. 

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What Should My Prenuptial Agreement Cover?
  •  Is Daycare Included in Child Support in New York?
  •  What Are the Legal Considerations for Same-Sex Divorce?