Can child custody arrangements be adjusted?

Can child custody arrangements be adjusted?

Divorces may involve a lot of turmoil that can cause emotional distress for some spouses. During these times, spouses are worried about their children’s involvement in the matter. As they fight for a divorce in court, they wait for the judge’s final decisions. The judge will decide matters involving alimony, the division of assets, child support and child custody. For parents, child custody can be one of the hardest topics to deal with during litigation. Parents want to be involved in their children’s lives as much as possible. If they do not get a favorable child custody arrangement, this can affect their bond with their child.

Why do child custody arrangements need to be modified?

During consideration of child custody arrangements, judges use the knowledge they have of the situation and of both parents to consider decisions. They intend to act in the best interests of the child. However, only present factors can be considered by the judge. No one involved in the case is aware of what might happen in the next few months or years. They also may not be aware of the effect of the original custody arrangement. Just as alimony can be adjusted due to life changes, child custody may also be adjusted to fit a different lifestyle.

Child custody can be modified depending on the situation that the child is in. If a parent has noticed negative changes in a child’s behavior or school performance, they may realize it is due to their time with their former spouse. This can lead them to file a legal action that gets the court involved in the arrangement again. The case may be brought to court in front of a judge for them to decide any changes to the original custody arrangements.

How can my spouse be enforced to follow court orders?

Court orders that are passed during a judgment of divorce are binding. Since these are legal decisions that are binding, people do not have a choice to decide whether they should abide by them. The legal guidelines set by the judge have to be followed. If one party is failing to honor these judgments, the other party can take action. They have the right to do so in order to acquire what is legally supposed to be theirs. If this involves child custody, modifications may be made to better fit the parents’ schedules.

You can file a post-judgment motion to enforce your right of acquiring the court-ordered demands. The court then has options regarding how they should handle the case. They may find the opposing party in contempt of court since they are not following court orders.

The Pollack Law Firm, P.C. understands that divorce and family law matters can be very complicated and emotional. They require strong legal representation from a compassionate attorney. Robert Pollack is an experienced divorce and family law attorney in Long Island, New York. Contact The Pollack Law Firm, P.C., to set up a free initial consultation.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Does New York Have Permanent Alimony?
  •  Can Children Express Preference in New York Custody Proceedings?
  •  What Should My Prenuptial Agreement Cover?