Alienation of a Parent

Alienation of a Parent

Many times after a divorce, relationships within a family are tarnished and may never return to the way they once were. Children of divorce have a tendency to feel resentment towards one or both of their parents after a divorce. This is because a divorce takes such a massive toll on the child. It can change everything about their life. They might have to move houses, move schools, and lose friends, in addition to the fact that their parents have split up. Sometimes this results in the alienation of a parent by a child.

Parental alienation is a serious situation and has even been considered by some psychologists as a mental health disorder. Parental Alienation Syndrome occurs when a child completely cuts a parent out of their life after a divorce. They may refuse to attend scheduled visitation times, act aggressively towards the parent whether it is verbal aggression or physical aggression, or go as far as to completely sabotage the relationship so visitation rights are taken away. Parental alienation is quite controversial amongst the mental health community. Some professionals feel as though it should be classified as a mental disorder while others do not. Regardless, it should not be overlooked.

There are also situations in which one parent is alienating their child from the other parent because they do not feel positively towards their ex-spouse. They may want to sabotage the relationship between their child and the other parent. If you feel as though your former spouse is trying to alienate you from spending time with your child, you may be able to bring it up in court and accuse your spouse of attempting alienation.

A parent may be able to go to court if they believe they are being alienated from their child. Though the court will consider that parental alienation may be occurring, they will look at the facts surrounding the case and always rule in favor of what is best for the child.

Robert Pollack is an experienced divorce and family law attorney in Long Island, New York. Contact The Pollack Law Firm, P.C., to set up a free initial consultation.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Does New York Have Permanent Alimony?
  •  Can Children Express Preference in New York Custody Proceedings?
  •  What Should My Prenuptial Agreement Cover?