Can I Stop Paying Child Support if I Have Lost My Job?

Can I Stop Paying Child Support if I Have Lost My Job?

In New York, parents have a legal responsibility to care for their children financially. As a result, child support is taken very seriously. But, sometimes, issues arise and you may struggle to continue making these payments. If this is the case, you will want to reach out to an experienced family law attorney to discuss modifying your child support agreement. Read on to learn more about child support modification in New York.

How Do New York Courts Determine Child Support?

Child support is incredibly important to the well-being of a child. As a result, there are a lot of factors that will go into determining the arrangement. Some of these factors include:

  • The number of children living in your household
  • The age of your children
  • The terms of your child custody agreement
  • Whether your children have any special needs
  • Whether your children will pursue higher education
  • You and your former spouse’s yearly income

If I Lost My Job, Do I Still Have to Pay Child Support?

If you have recently become unemployed, you may be wondering whether you still have to pay child support. You will have to continue paying child support unless otherwise stated by a New York Court. That being said, you may be able to modify the frequency or amount of payments under certain circumstances.

Child Support Modification

It is not always easy to modify your child support agreement. This is because child support is carefully calculated. But, there are some events that may require a modification. For the most part, there must be an unexpected and significant change, including:

  • Losing a job
  • Receiving a promotion or getting a higher-paying job
  • Coming into a large inheritance
  • Remarrying
  • Losing a home

It is important to note that if you have become unemployed because you quit your job or you were fired for gross negligence or criminal misconduct, you will probably not be able to modify your arrangement.

If you believe you need to modify your child support agreement, you will want to reach out to an experienced family law attorney. An attorney will file the motion for modification and then show the court why your modification is necessary. Reach out to our firm today to speak with a dedicated attorney.

Contact our experienced Nassau County firm

The Pollack Law Firm, P.C., rated Nassau County’s “BEST” divorce lawyers and proudly serving clients in Nassau and Suffolk County for more than 22 years, is always available to assist and represent parties in divorce, separation and all other matrimonial and family law matters. Contact us online or call today to schedule your complimentary case analysis: (516) 938-3330.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Does New York Have Permanent Alimony?
  •  Can Children Express Preference in New York Custody Proceedings?
  •  What Should My Prenuptial Agreement Cover?