Can I Change the Amount of Child Support I Receive in Nassau County?

Can I Change the Amount of Child Support I Receive in Nassau County?

When parents get divorced, their main concern is, generally, their children. Nassau County has a child support system in place to ensure children are financially sound after a divorce. However, after a divorce, things change. If, after a few months or years, you find you require an updated set of child support terms, you will need to hire an attorney who can help you get a post-judgment modification. Please continue reading and speak with our Nassau County divorce attorney to learn more about how our firm can help you. Here are some of the questions you may have:

How does child support work in Nassau County?

Before determining which parent is the supporting parent and which parent needs financial support, Nassau County courts will consider several different factors. Among those include you and your spouse’s age and health, both of your financial situations, any property you or your spouse own, your life insurance policies, whether you have any family inheritances or retirement funds, and more. Though they strive to ensure the well-being of your child, Nassau County courts do not always make the best decision, which is why you need a knowledgeable child support attorney on your side.

When do Nassau County courts change child support terms?

After the court has established your initial child support terms, you may find that months or years down the road, a change in circumstances warrants an updated child support agreement. Some situations that have warranted child support modifications in the past are as follows:

  • One of the parents loses their job
  • A parent comes into money, either through a significant raise, a higher-paying job, or otherwise
  • A parent remarries or is now cohabitating with another partner
  • One of the parents loses their home
  • The child is seeking higher education, thereby warranting an extension on child support terms

How do I modify child support terms?

Though the easiest option is to simply speak with your former spouse and reach an agreement yourselves, this is nearly impossible for many. That is why in most cases, you will have to hire an attorney who can help you prove that a significant, unforeseen, and continuing change in circumstances warrants a modification to your child support agreement. Our experienced Nassau County attorney has been helping financially dependent parents secure the support they need for years, and he is ready to do the same for you.

Contact our experienced Nassau County firm

The Pollack Law Firm, P.C., rated Nassau County’s “BEST” divorce lawyers and proudly serving clients in Nassau and Suffolk County for more than 22 years, is always available to assist and represent parties in divorce, separation and all other matrimonial and family law matters. Contact us online or call today to schedule your complimentary case analysis: (516) 938-3330.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  Does New York Have Permanent Alimony?
  •  Can Children Express Preference in New York Custody Proceedings?
  •  What Should My Prenuptial Agreement Cover?